You might want to permanently delete or deactivate your Reddit Account, either because you care about your privacy, want to reduce your social media clutter, or simply because you want to sleep more and be happier.
Whatever reason you may have to remove your Reddit account, in this article, we’ll go through the detailed steps on how to delete a Reddit account. We’ll also learn about removing Reddit posts and comments and why it is important. You’ll learn to delete a Reddit account from both a desktop and via the mobile app.
Reasons to Delete a Reddit Account?
- Fear of privacy invasion and control?
- Is social media distracting you?
- Or probably you would just want to reduce screen time and sleep longer?
We love Reddit. But for many reasons, Reddit has surrounded itself with controversies many times in the past.
For instance, back in 2016, it was found that the CEO of Reddit, Steve Huffman, could edit any part of the Reddit website. True Redditors will never forget the Huffman – r/The_Donald subreddit Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton incident— the Reddit CEO secretly edited comments from the Donald Trump supporters. Huffman did what he had to do, but Redditors weren’t happy after knowing this.
In another case, back in 2018, Reddit almost secretively re-enabled the tracking of the Redditors and shared their data with the third-party advertisers. What nobody knows is that when you create an account on Reddit, tracking is enabled by default, and you have to disable it manually.
Other reasons why would you remove your Reddit account? Well, you might simply want to reduce screen time or social media clutter, and increase sleep. For whatever reason, in this post, we’ll guide you through the right steps on how to delete a Reddit account.
How to Delete your Reddit Posts and Comments?
Before moving ahead, you also need to know that your posts and comments on your Reddit account won’t be deleted even after you’ve deleted your Reddit account. However, it’ll be shown [deleted] in place of your username afterward. So, if you don’t want this, you can delete your comments and posts before removing your account.
To remove your Reddit posts and comments, follow the below steps:
- Log In to your account and then click on your profile icon.
- Go to the Profile option.
- Click on the Comments or Posts option to view your comments or posts.
- Click on the “…” three dots “more option” to find the option to delete your comments or posts. You’ll have to do this with all the comments that you want to delete.
Now let’s head over to the steps to delete your Reddit account.
Steps on How to Delete a Reddit Account
You can delete your Reddit Account either from your Desktop or from your Mobile device. We’ll go through the process of removing your Reddit account from both.
These are the steps to delete your Reddit Account from your desktop.
- Log In to your Reddit Account.
- On the top right corner, click on your Profile Icon and then click on the User Settings option from the drop-down menu displayed.
- On User Settings, go to Account, then scroll down to the bottom.
- You’ll notice a “Deactivate Account” at the bottom left side.
- Click the Deactivate Account button.
- Now you’ll face a window where you’ll be asked for a confirmation to permanently delete your account.
- In this window, you will have to fill in your credentials, and tick on the terms statement: “I understand that deactivated accounts are not recoverable”.
- Click on the Deactivate button. You can also provide option feedback on why you’re deleting your account.
- You’ll receive a final display window where you’ll again need to click on the Deactivate option to get the work done.
- Once, you delete your Reddit account, you’ll be redirected to the Reddit Login page.
How to delete a Reddit account on mobile.
You can also remove a Reddit account from your mobile phone. Follow the below steps if you want to know how to remove a Reddit account from the app.
- Log In to your Reddit Account.
- Click on the icon at the top left of your screen to view your profile.
- Go to Settings and then click on the “Help FAQ” section. This will display a search input box in front of you.
- Type – Deactivate – in the search input box.
- Find the article entitled – How do I deactivate my account?.
- Click on the link given in the above-entitled article and you’ll be directed to the Deactivation screen that’s similar to the screen on the PC.
- Provide your credentials and you can also provide optional feedback giving reasons for deleting your account. Then click on Deactivate Account button.
- Finally, you’ll receive a final display window where you’ll again need to click on the Deactivate option to get the work done.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
These are some FAQs related to Reddit and its account deactivation.
a. What is Reddit?
Reddit is a social news platform that allows its users to discuss and vote on the content shared on the Reddit platform by Reddit users. It has 430 million monthly active users as of February 2021.
b. What are Subreddits?
Reddit is a social platform comprised of subreddits. And these subreddits are niche forums or groups for a particular discussion or a topic.
c. Is deactivation different from deletion?
No, deactivation and deletion are the same things when it comes to Reddit. So, once you’ve deactivated your account, there’s no reversal, and your account is gone forever.
e. Can I change my Reddit username?
No. You can’t change your username once you’ve created and finalized one. Even after you’ve deactivated your Reddit account, your previous username can’t be used by you or anyone else joining Reddit.
f. Can I have two Reddit accounts?
Yes. You can have more than two Reddit accounts with the same e-mail ID. But Reddit also advises you not to use your other ID for vote manipulation or for breaking any other rule as per Reddit Content Policy.